Tuesday, January 29, 2008

First Days in Athens

Today is my second day in Athens--after arriving yesterday afternoon. When we first landed we were tranferred to a bus which took us to the Parthenon Hotel. We were allowed to drop off our luggage but not to sleep--something I wanted to do terribly. They wanted to keep us active so that we wouldn't be jet lagged all week. Then I saw my first look at the Parthenon from Mount Phillippos (a little hilltop near our hotel). Unfortunetly, I think I would have enjoyed the sight more with some extra hours of sleep. It was still incredible and I'm greatly looking forward to getting a closer look at it. And today, we saw the Parthenon again, the Herodion Atticus Theatre, and were also taken to the Plaka (an old marketplace with great shops and cafes). The only notable purchases I made were for food. I am happy to report, I greatly like the food here in Greece. I have a pretty good feeling about this trip!
This is Alicia Peterson and I standing atop marble rocks overlooking Athens
The Parthenon from a distance
The Herodion Atticus Theatre

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! Nice pictures. How can you tell us you like the food without telling us what you ate. Since I'm coming to visit, I need to know what to look for. Hope you haven't found anything that you forgot. Things here have turned bitter cold again. Even if its raining, enjoy the temperatures.

Love ya, miss you already.

Anonymous said...

Hey Rae - Just adding a comment because I'm cool too! Yep - more so than Dad :)

I like your pics by the way - what a sexy beast ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey Babe, Did you walk all the way from the Pathenon to the place where you took the first picture. If so, I'm impressed!!! It makes me think I'd better start breaking in my walking shoes.
Love, Mom

Benjamin Thomas Kohler said...

So next week is carnival all over the world... the weekend before fat tuesday and ash wednesday. I saw on this msn article a list of incredible places to be during carnival, and there was a city in Greece on the list. I'll bet Athens is doing something for carnival also (maybe parades or dressing up or whatever), so you should check that out.

Peace

Word to our mother

Anonymous said...

Hi Rachel! I'm so happy to hear you arrived safely and are having a good time. We all miss you in the Archives including Martin Lutter's papers. :) Take care, and eat lots for me (and Ingrid too)!

Lisa